Paperwork At Camp

Camp Paperwork

Once you get to camp there will be a few camp specific forms to fill in. These are so you can be paid and to verify your arrival to the United States. At camp, someone will be on hand to help you fill all of these in, so no need to feel overwhelmed.  

I-9 Form

This is required by all staff. It's a verification that you are eligible and certified to work legally. It is a straightforward form, and will require your passport, J-1 Visa and DS-2019.

Your camp will help you fill this out. You will also be required to access your 'I-94 Arrival/Departure record' held with the US Customs and Border Control at the following website.

W-4 Form

This form is for tax purposes. Your camp might 'withhold' a small portion of your salary as tax. If they do, you are entitled to claim this amount back, because you are not a US citizen. Just keep hold of your payslips.

Your home country Camp Leaders office will be able to help you with this.


Social Security

The US Government requires that all employees apply for a Social Security number.

Your camp will help you do this after you have been at camp for about a week. It may involve a visit to the local Social Security office, or bringing someone from their office to your camp. For this you'lll need your passport, J-1 Visa, DS-2019 and your camp contract.

Cultural Experience Questionnaire 

Every 30 days you are required to fill out a short online questionnaire. This is for the US DoS (Department of State) to ensure that your camp is following their obligations to look after you properly and that you're experiencing American culture whilst you're over there. You will receive further information on this via e-mail, directly from your visa sponsor Cultural Homestay International (CHI).